“Pass the Federal Green New Deal!” is a Washington State-based coalition that comes together to insist that our congressional delegation champions a national Green New Deal. We support enacting policies that will fulfill a promise to working people and frontline and vulnerable communities of a just and equitable transition away from extractive industries and that sharply limits the emission of greenhouse gases.
The Green New Deal, sponsored by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (HR 109) and Sen. Ed Markey (SR 59), has five main goals, summarized here:
- To secure for all people clean air and water, housing, climate resiliency, healthy food, access to nature, and a sustainable environment
- To invest in the infrastructure and industry of the US and sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century.
- To promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future, and repairing historic oppression of frontline and vulnerable communities.
- To eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers
- To create millions of high-quality union jobs that hire local workers and pay prevailing wages.
Our growing coalition represents Youth, Environmental, Environmental Justice, Labor, Faith, and Community organizations that work for good jobs and a future free of fossil fuels.